Newspaper Archive of
Spirit of Jefferson Farmers Advocate
Charles Town, West Virginia
Lyft
November 14, 2018     Spirit of Jefferson Farmers Advocate
PAGE 14     (14 of 24 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 14     (14 of 24 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
November 14, 2018
 

Newspaper Archive of Spirit of Jefferson Farmers Advocate produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




PAGE B2 Wednesday, November 14, 2018 LIFE SPIRIT of JEFFERSON and EM{MER'S ADVOCATE The A photograph taken around 1875 shows the three-story building that's now home to Calico Jack's Virginia Free Press occupied the buildlng's second floor, with a sign featuring a giraffe - a symbol Cafd at 132 W. Washington St. of the ability to see into the future. DOUG PERKS A few weeks ago History Matters As you would expect, commerce in featured a shot of James Senseney's Charles Town was severely impacted Western Auto Store. Like many imag- by the Civil War. For most of the war, es in the Jefferson County Museum's Union cavalry bivouacked in Charles photograph archive it was taken in Town, and buildings like the court- Charles Town - specifically, the north house, perfect for billeting soldiers, side of the 100 block of West Wash- were pressed into service. ington Street. For four years, the" combination of Most of our archive's Washington hundreds of Union troops, daily cav- Street photos focus on the blocks just airy patrols, and the repeated efforts to the east and west of Public Square. of the Confederates to dislodge the In our archive are three photographs Union Army made conducting busi- of that block. In each image, the pho- ness in Charles Town difficult at best. tographer is standing on the south- By war's end, several Washington west comer Charles and Washington Street buildings were gone, either Streets and is facing northeast, destroyed or damaged. By the early Prominent in each image are the first 1870s, Charles Town had slowly be- four buildings starting at the north- gun to recover and se ,eral antebel- east comer of Charles and Washing- lum buildings on Washington Street ton (present day Calico Jack's Caf6 at were rebuilt. 132 W. Washington St.) and moving Aphotograph taken sometime around to the right of the photograph (east) 1875 shows the three-story building to the present-day Goode Building on the left that replaced one that was at 120 W. Washington St. - for over destroyed by fire. In the image, the 50 years the building where Western Auto was located. (See PERKS Page B4) ABOVE: This photo from the 1930s shows the C.W. Brown Jeweler store, owned by one of the sons of Gustav Brown. BELOW: After the jewelry store closed, the space in 1938 became Western Auto, where a bicycle waits for its owner. TOP: Take note of the absence of automobiles along West Washington Street in the 1890s - nothing but real horsepower here! ABOVE: The north side of the same block of West Washington Street in the 1940s was home to Western Auto, John Luxenberg's Department Store, the Southern Restaurant, the People's Bank of Charles Town and the New Central Restaurant on the first floor of CharlesWashington Hall. LEFT: Gustav Brown, a native of Germany who served six terms as Charles Town's mayor, is shown in the 1890s standing in the doorway of his 120 W. Washington St. confectionery, with his wife, sons and staff members.